Monday 15 February 2010

John Jones Artist in Residence Mariana Heilmann


Entry 2

BLADES
PARCHMENT PAPER
GREAT STUDIO
UNINTERRUPTED TIME
SPACE
EXPOSURE TO JJ WORKSHOPS AND POTENTIAL MATERIALS
ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES
EXTREMELY HELPFUL AND EXPERT TEAM ALL AROUND
BEGINNING NEW COMMISSION

All the above are topics I could write about at length, but for now I will just keep them as they are…headings of all the important aspects of this week.
A dream come true, I only fear that one month is just not going to be long enough to explore all the possibilities that are around me at John Jones.
In this light I have decided to make small sketches with as many of the materials available to me as possible, so that at a later date I may go back and expand on them both in scale and in form.

Parallel to the work I will be doing with materials gathered at JJ, I have also started a commission measuring 215 x 133cm. (Wave of Peace II) The process to make this piece is extremely slow and meticulous; there are around 14000 pieces which I will pin to a support specially designed and made for me at John Jones. The pieces are made from plastic milk bottles which my local community and friends in Barnes have collected for me. This commission comes as a result of a recent collection of work which I showed late last year.

The reception to the work was very enthusiastic, and I have a line of large commissions to complete as a consequence. I will have one of these hanging at John Jones during Feb. (Water II)

On Thursday I moved from the display area into what will be my studio whilst I am resident artist. It is quite far removed from the main area but it is perfectly situated in terms of being within arms reach of the workshops; my suppliers of materials!

No comments: